Sunday, November 30, 2014

TILES FROM CHINA

http://elip-lol.blogspot.co.uk/

 TILES FROM CHINA


Liz and David are having breakfast together one Saturday morning. Liz is checking
her email on her i-phone.
Liz: Great!!!!!!
David: What is?
Liz: I've got an email from that chap in China?
David: What chap? You've lost me!
Liz: Remember, the mosaic tiles for the kitchen? I found the factory in China where
they make them.
David: Yes, but you said they don't make them any more.
Liz: Well, that was what the salesman at Tilomania told me. He said they couldn't
order any more because the factory no longer makes them.
David: And what does the man from China say?
Liz: Well, at first he said they couldn't supply them, same as the man from Tilomania
But he has just sent me a new email.
David: And what does he say now? Don't tell me you have persuaded him to start up
production again just because you want a few square metres of last year's stock! Oh
my God, Liz, you haven't ordered a lorryload, have you?
Liz: No, of course not. But he says they have one box, that's another square metre. He
is going to give me a price for sending it.
David: And what does Richard Branson say?
Liz: Richard Branson? What are you talking about?
David: Well, I assume you are going to charter a jet to go and fetch these tiles..
Liz: David! There is no need to be sarcastic! I am not totally mad!
David: I'm glad to hear it. There is a recession you know, and money doesn't grow on trees!
http://www.hkxiehuiceramic.com/ProductShow_En.aspx?nid=684
The yellow and green mosaic tiles on the Chinese website.
http://www.gytiles.com/EN_Products.asp?Size=12&TypeId=10&Page=13
having breakfast
http://www.imagesource.com/Doc/IS0/Media/TR4_WATERMARKED/e/4/3/5/IE213
-055.jpg
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/fotosmurf/fotosmurf1002/fotosmurf100200012/6
369499-handsome-young-couple-having-breakfast-together-at-the-bar.jpg
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/26/e9/9f/once-again-havingbreakfast.
jpg
He no longer does something. = he has stopped doing something
Liz tells her neighbour Ann about the tiles for the new kitchen and gets some advice.
Ann: Liz! What a surprise! You don't look very happy. What's the matter?
Liz: It's those tiles!
Ann: The yellow and green mosaic tiles from China?
Liz: Yes.
Ann: I thought you'd given up on them and were going to choose some new ones.
Liz: Well I was. But I got another email earlier today from the factory in China.
Ann: And?
Liz: They have found one box of the tiles. They can send me that.
Ann: One box? Is that enough?
Liz: No. And it's going to cost £300.
Ann: £300 for a square metre of tiles! Are you mad?
Liz: No, not quite. I must admit I was tempted. But then I thought about what you had
said about the customs duty and VAT.
Ann: Did you manage to find out how much more you would have to pay?
Liz: Yes. Almost the same again.
Ann: What?? Another £300? That's extortion! I don't believe it!
Liz: Well apparently the EEC has put a special Anti Dumping Duty on goods from
China. For ceramic tiles that's 83%.
Ann: No! And of course VAT of 20% gets added on as well.
Liz: Yes.
Ann: Oh don't look so glum. Talk to Jana about it. Ask her to make a design using a
mixture of tiles. She could design a pattern using the mosaics you have already got
and some other bigger green and yellow tiles to match.
Liz: What a great idea. She and the girls can come up with a design. It will be totally
unique. I'll go and talk to her now.
To give up on = stop hoping to achieve
to come up with something = have an idea, think of a solution
glum = sad
VAT – value added tax
the same again = in total twice as much
http://www.hkxiehuiceramic.com/ProductShow_En.aspx?nid=684
The yellow and green mosaic tiles on the Chinese website.
http://www.gytiles.com/EN_Products.asp?Size=12&TypeId=10&Page=13
Peter and Jana are waiting for the tube up to London
Peter: Hi Jana, Off up to London?
Jana: Yes. I am going for an Interview for a Master's course at The Institute.
Peter: The Institute of Education, at Russell Square? Wow, Good luck!
Jana: I couldn't afford it if I had to find a place to live as well. But Liz and David want
me to continue to live with them and having free accommodation makes all the
difference.
Peter: Well I am sure Liz wants you to stay on. The girls have grown so fond of you.
You seem to be an essential part of the family now.
Jana: Yes. It's strange to remember how scared I was when I first came to London,
and how strange I thought Liz and her family were! I know them as well as my own
family now.
Peter: You are going to have your work cut out managing your studies and Liz's
housework too. How will you manage?
Jana: Well we are still working that out. But Liz thinks it will all be OK.
Peter: Yes, she doesn't take 'no' for an answer, somehow she always finds her way
round problems. Remember those tiles she wanted from China.
Jana: Well there may actually be a solution......
Peter: Ahh here's the train at last.
To be off = to depart, to go (away)
to stay on = continue in the same place
to grow fond of
to be fond of = like or love
to have your work cut out = have a difficult time
to work something out = decide how to do it
can also mean calculate
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/images/general/Group_at_tube_platform_2_rdax_700x4
66.jpg
waiting for a tube train



1 comment:

  1. MAggie.... you have stolen my lessons. YOU PLAGIARIST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete